T minus how many days?

Six. Yup. Six five four three two none. Then I fly far away and galavant around. I still can't believe that this is what I get to do with myself now, but I could get used to it. It's a bit disarming, though. I feel like I have so much time left because I'm counting days (as opposed to hours, like I'm used to on the block plan), but really I think it's gonna whiz by and before I know it, Perú! I'm trying to divide my time between researching travel options, getting in the last visits with friends here, and making piles of clothes and other things to stuff into my backpack. Funny how when I make lists of things to take in my head, it doesn't seem like much...but then I pile it up in front of me and say, "Why did I think I needed this much stuff again?" Not like it's really that much, considering I'll be gone for 7 months, but I'm still working on cutting it all down. Good thing I don't have to pack for winter...

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure I know where in Perú I want to devote my energy to this time around. Problem is, the three places are kinda sorta in opposite directions. I'll spend a few days in and around Lima, which I'm sure will be enough city time for me. Then, the dilemma...head north or south? Northward lies Huaraz and the Huascarán National Park, in the heart of the Cordillera Blanca (loosely, White Spine), which houses numerous enormous peaks...I think the Moon guidebook on Perú said that it's the highest mountain range outside of the Himalaya. Can you see the appeal? (As a side note, I'm currently on my third book about expeditions to climb Everest, so my brain is in a certain groove at the moment.) The region is touted for having incredible day hikes, as well as multi-day trekking options, and quality rock climbing. Sounds great.

Southward, though, lie Cusco and Puno, central hubs for exploring Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca, respectively. Neither place really requires a description, and I'm sure they both offer a lot of opportunities to explore amazing things. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how much time I'll have to dedicate to them, and I want to err on the side of spending too much time in a place as opposed to not enough. Good thing is, at this point my plans are pretty loose, or maybe even nonexistent, so I can play it by ear. Woo!

It's about time for me to get off the computer and get to work, but I can't resist this shameless plug: one of my dear friends from CC, Louisa, is spending a year in Germany as an au pair, and she's keeping a blog about her (hilarious) experiences. Single posts make me laugh out loud multiple times, and besides, it's Louisa's blog! So I recommend that you all check it out and spread the word: the au pair report.

Signing off for now.
Love, Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment