Merry Merry Christmas!

It's that time of year again. Already? The past few days, being beautiful and sunny, have done nothing to help me remember that it's Christmas. I'm...dreaming...of a whiiite...Christmas...

Despite the surreal feeling that Christmas here means BBQs, I can embrace the change. I've got great plans to go to Lyn's place with a few other friends and have a "waifs and strays" Christmas, also known as orphan's Christmas, also known as a wonderful Christmas. We've got big plans for a local wild venison rump, local crayfish (rock lobster) tails, veg and cheese skewers, baked corn, potatoes, ambrosia, champagne, and sunshine. I'm really looking forward to the day. And for those of you curious ones, yes I will try the venison and crayfish - I still don't really like or crave meat, but I'll give it a try when it's as good and fresh as what we'll have tomorrow.

The fact that the holidays have snuck up on me means that I'm hopelessly behind on the gift thing. I did manage to get a few things off for people here, which makes my heart feel incredibly full. My flatmate Ange has been going through a bit of a rough time with her mum going through breast cancer treatment, which means lots of weekends away in Dunedin, and then working overtime in between trips. Poor thing got home a few days ago and was so tired she accidentally fell asleep. I decided she probably needs some relaxation time but won't give it to herself...so I got her a massage at the local clinic. I still haven't given it to her, but I'm hoping she'll like it. It feels good to give someone something they'll (hopefully) value, instead of just another thing to add to their possessions. Which is why food is my favorite thing to give (like the bacon, sausages, and peppermint schnapps delivered to Cory today).

So for those of you too far away for me to cook or bake for, suffice it to say that I love you all and I'm with you in spirit - I can't count the times I've wished I could share this amazing place with you all. I hope you all have wonderful holidays! Much love, K.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Holidays to you sweet-heart!! Your plans sound wonderful and I can guess who is preparing the baked corn for your gathering!!! With you in spirit!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete