Buenos Aires, buenas vibras

So, I made it.  Soooo relieved to be in a place with a bed!  Instead of a table.  If you can't imagine it already, spending a night in the airport is less than fun, but I did catch maybe an hour and a half of sleep in the food court sitting at a table with my head down.  Woke up to the sound of seven or eight guys drinking beers at 6 in the morning...hey, when in Rome, I guess.  I grabbed a cinnamon roll for breakfast and awaited Carlos's arrival with my duffel.  Awfully nice of him to drive it all the way out to the airport for me.  We didn't have much time to chat by the time he got there, and I got through security and to the gate just in time to start boarding the plane.

I flew with LAN, which turns out to be a really nice airline.  They give you blankets and pillows and each seat has a personal TV lodged in the back of the chair in front of it.  Somehow, by the greatest stroke of luck ever, I had the whole middle row to my self...3 seats beckoning for me to lay down and doze off.  Which is exactly what I did for the whole four-hour plane ride.  And I felt so much better!

Getting through immigration and customs was easy peasy, and per suggestion from my hosts in town, I took a bus service that left me right at the doorstep of my new home.  I've yet to wander around the neighborhood (Palermo), but it seems like a good area of town with everything I need within a few blocks.  Laura, the daughter of the woman who owns this place (Eva), is very friendly, as I'm getting a sense that most Argentines are, and I'm pretty happy with where I've ended up.  I have my own small room right next to a bathroom and kitchen on the second story of a really nice house which doubles as Eva's real estate office.  There are three little dogs, two Colombians, and one other Argentine girl who live here as well.

For the most part, I've unpacked everything and am settling in well.  I'm just now realizing how stinky all my clothes and sleeping bag and hiking boots are...the one window is wide open in here to help air everything out.  You know you've had a good trip and been in good places when this is the case.

In general, I'm getting a great feeling about being here...the buenas vibras are strong.  It's sunny and springtime, so what could be better?  Woo I'm in Argentina!

No comments:

Post a Comment